Wednesday 21 March 2012

Aberdeen City Councillor in Disgrace over Third Don Crossing

Aberdeen City councillor is to stand down amid the row over the third Don crossing.

Richard Robertson who represents Tillydrone, Seaton and Old Aberdeen, is in favour of the plans and says he has been branded "a disgrace" by residents against the proposed crossing.

He is to quit the council in May after five years due to the conflict with locals.

He said: "While I represent Tillydrone I also have to think about the rest of Aberdeen in general. There is a strong group in Tillydrone who are against the third crossing but I'm for it and so I'm standing down.

"I've had some nasty emails telling me that I'm a disgrace for being in favour of it but I'm in it for the city."

The council has set aside £430 000 of it's 2012/13 budget for the project with the total cost over the next three years expected to be around £14 million.

The crossing can only be built if land is secured through compulsory purchase orders which means some Tillydrone and Grandholm residents will lose their gardens.

Chairwoman of Tillydrone community council Linda Barclay said: "Our stance is as it always was, we are against the crossing and we will fight it."

Councillor Richardson plans to stand for Ferryhill and Torry, where he currently lives, in the May elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment