Wednesday 21 March 2012

Rolling Stoneshaven


A Stonehaven-born musician living in San Diego has released a video for his latest single "Stonehaven Radio and Me".

Colin Clyne, named "Best Acoustic Act" last year at the San Diego Music Awards, has been sending letters from America to his North-east homeland for the past four years.

"Stonehaven Radio Ship to Shore" was one of the UK's oldest morse code radio stations, and had served seafaring traffic in the North Sea for 89 years before being retired in 2000.

The newest single from his album "Doricana" was inspired by the singer's trips to see the Dons play at Pittodrie, his favourite football team as a lad.

Colin said: "I used to go to the Aberdeen games with my uncle Gordon who worked at Stonehaven Radio Station Ship to Shore. The inspiration for the song came from a memory I had when we had just beaten Hibs in the semi-final of the cup and a Hibs fan went to shake my uncle’s hand but instead head-butted him.

“I was only ten so it wasn’t the type of thing you would expect to see as a boy. I ran up and told a policeman but he just told me to go away.”

Colin, who is now 35, claims that he still tries to follow AFC's performances:“I do get up early on Saturdays to watch some of the games. It hasn’t been as good the last few seasons so sometimes I’m back in my bed within 15 minutes of kick-off."

When not on tour across the States or Scotland, Colin spends his spare time at his homes in both California and Stonehaven, and enjoys a "sizeable following" of fans from each. He is hoping to release the sequel to "Doricana" as soon as possible:

“My wife is due to give birth in the next couple of days so I think I will be laying low over the next couple of months. However I have 30 new songs to ready to go so I’m hoping to get a new album out later this year.

“I have had some great feedback from people in Stonehaven about the songs and they particularly like the local references. There will be a few local references in the new album too.”

You can watch the singer's new video here:

Find out more about Colin's music here

No comments:

Post a Comment